Sunday, July 12, 2009

Online MAT programs .... us, USC, and ????

Some time ago, perhaps even as much as two years ago, when USC launched the online MAT program and advertised it as the first in the country, I emailed that announcement to a few people in the COE. Naturally, they were surprised with USC's claim--hey, even we have had an online MAT for a while.

Anyway, that experience reminded me of what a professor of mine said in our first ever graduate class at USC--yes, that is where I earned my grad degrees. Martin Krieger wanted us to understand that in this world, it is not a question of what we say, but one of who says it. Thus, it is no surprise to me that nobody cares for my op-eds, even though I might (and I do) provide leading-edge analysis, even before, say, the master manipulator of metaphors does :-(

Similarly, it becomes a big deal when a leading research university does something online, while the online work done at smaller universities, including ours, barely registers a blip anywhere. The harsh reality of life, I guess.

No, I am not simply ranting and raving here. USC's PR announcement from July 9th states:

The MAT@USC cohort, which officially starts this summer, is a strikingly diverse group that reflects the school’s long-running commitment to promoting diversity in education.

One hundred and forty-four students from across the United States have enrolled in MAT@USC, the first online program of its kind to emerge from a major research university. The program creates an interactive online environment based on streaming video, animation and other Web 2.0 technologies.

Despite wide-ranging backgrounds, the incoming MAT@USC cohort shares a commitment to urban education and an enthusiasm for creating positive change.

Notice how they have carefully worked in the fact that it is the first of its kind from a major research university? It is the truth, the whole truth, .... :-)

No comments: